December 13, 2010

I *heart* boobies


Yep, I just wrote "boobies" on my blog post. Have you seen the articles on this? Kids are getting suspended from school for wearing bracelets that read "I *heart* boobies." Just google "i love boobies breast cancer awareness," and you'll see plenty of articles.

The bracelet campaign was started by the Keep a Breast Foundation in Carlsbad, CA, a non-profit group that seeks to raise breast cancer awareness among young people.

Now, I'm usually quite the prude on these kind of issues. And certainly some of these kids are wearing the bracelets just to be smart alec punks. But, many of them have also likely had a mom, aunt, or someone else close to them diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm just saying there's probably a balance between respecting women's bodies and not taking ourselves too seriously. And, I'm guessing this campaign has done a great job of raising awareness amongst young adults, as well as the greater community.

And, have you ever been to a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure event? "I *heart* boobies" is nothing! Moms and grandmas are walking around wearing shirts that say "save the tatas" and "team tough titties." Some of my other team name favorites include: "breast friends," "saving second base," "the rack pack," "walkers for knockers," "breastsavers," and "a cure or bust!"

Many of these women or their loved ones have been through hell and back fighting breast cancer. They have learned what's worth making a fuss over and what isn't. And they recognize the need for some creativity in order to get the awareness message out.

If you haven't participated in a Susan G. Komen event, I strongly recommend it. They are truly inspirational gatherings, and most of us could use a 5K run (or walk), so why not do it in support of a great cause? And, one of the highlights is always checking out the great team slogans!

In the meantime, I think that school administrators probably have some bigger issues to tackle than the boobies bracelet booby.

2 comments:

  1. When I went to check your blog I never thought in a million years the entry I would first see would say the word Boobies!! Hahahaha but then again after reading your post I can understand how passionate you are about this and I get it! ( I still laugh though)!! I am so happy you are blogging - a good way for me to keep my tabs on you! Talk to you soon xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! Love it! April wholeheartedly agrees with you. She *hearts* boobies too!

    ReplyDelete