January 25, 2010

"Belle of the Ball"


I had the opportunity to listen in on a roundtable discussion last week between agricultural leaders and USDA Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan. Merrigan was in Davis to award a grant for conducting research on invasive species. (http://nifa.usda.gov/newsroom/news/2010news/01212_invasive_species.html)

Overall, it was a good exchange of information. My favorite part may have been the Deputy Secretary's explanation of how food, and how it is grown, has become such a popular issue: she said, "I used to go to parties, people would ask me what I did for a living, I'd say 'agricultural policy,' and there I'd be left alone with my gin and tonic. Now, I go to parties, people ask what I do for a living, I say 'agricultural policy,' and I'm the belle of the ball."

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment